LIFE LESSON #3 - DON'T LET OTHER PEOPLE SPEAK FOR YOU


This is very similar to lesson #2 below.

This time, I'm on stage at a big club downtown to do a charity show. We're one of five bands that night and are the last to do a sound check. We do our check - it's less than five minutes. The sound guy is fatigued after 2 hours of dealing with amateur musicians and wants to get out of the booth. None of us could hear the instruments in our monitors. Finally, we get someone to put up the levels so we can hear each other.

Fast forward a couple hours later. It's showtime! We're the first band to go on. We go up on stage and I start into the killer riff from David Bowie's Rebel Rebel. I can't really hear myself well. I can hear the bass, and drums but that's about it. It turns out, someone had turned the guitar amplifier way down during the break. However, I was so used to not hearing my guitar during the sound check I make the assumption that people can hear me front of house.

We do four minutes of Rebel Rebel without the guitar riff - the equivalent of playing Beethovan's 9th symphony on a tuba and tambourine.

The life lesson here is that i trusted someone with my "voice". I should have checked the amplifier myself before I started playing.

Maybe someone is trying to tell me something. Every time I go on stage it's seems I have a struggle to be heard.

Here I am between songs where you can hear my friend Chris say something about the fact he can hardly hear me. Finally things are rectified and we go into and ultra cheesy rendition of "She's a Lady".


No comments:

Post a Comment